Pages

Monday 30 September 2013

Acrylics at Artscape

Judi Menges, Pauline Ashley (front), Hillary Taylor and Sue Wookey (background)
 demonstrating at Artscape
© Teresa Newham 2013

It's been the busiest Open Studios yet for the five of us of us exhibiting as Artscape Arts - we had around two hundred visitors in total during the event!  I've really enjoyed meeting and chatting to those who came to see us  -  about my own art and photos, about my fellow exhibitors' work and about the visitors' own interest in art.

experimental acrylic minis: ABC and Lavender Fields
© Teresa Newham 2013
 In between all the chatting, I tried out some small experimental paintings, using tiny canvases and easels which I spotted on sale in Hitchin.  I couldn't resist them, and thought they would provide a good opportunity to dig out some ancient acrylics languishing in a tin in my studio - originally bought for one of the short courses at Central St Martins, and only used once!

experimental acrylic minis - White Boats at Warren Weir
© Teresa Newham 2013


I'm not a fan of acrylic - it's a bit too plastic for my taste - but I have enjoyed putting these together.  I began by working in a graphic style, and then tried using them as I would watercolours.  But the most interesting technique I've discovered is one which makes the most of that plastic texture.

experimental acrylic minis - using texture
© Teresa Newham 2013

By the time I'd painted up my fourteen mini canvases, I was all miniatured out.  I'll never love acrylic like I do watercolour.  But I'd like to give acrylic a go on a larger canvas some time, if only to use those paints up . . .

experimental acrylic minis - "September"
© Teresa Newham 2013

3 comments:

  1. Love the mini canvas scenes. I must give that size a go. I can understand the acrylic dislike though I find the bold colors are attracting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! they were an ideal size for demonstrating - fast and portable - but I felt very cramped. I will definitely have a go on a larger size canvas some time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these are really attractive and so clever, getting all that detail onto such a small space. Real skill and delicacy involved here!

    ReplyDelete