Pages

Thursday 28 February 2019

From the archive drawer



three quirky images of County Kerry
© Teresa Newham

Recently I've re-organised the storage of my linocuts and photos, creating something of an archive in the process. It's been a useful and interesting exercise - not to mention an excellent displacement activity for artists' block - as well as a trip down memory lane.


early experiments with printmaking
© Teresa Newham

I'd forgotten the obsession with water and reflections which characterised some of my first attempts to move beyond taking holiday snaps; together with my love of quirky shots, water is still one of my favourite subjects.


obsessed by water
© Teresa Newham

My early linocuts were almost all reductions - ambitious, but I was swept away by my enthusiasm for the exciting medium I'd just discovered.  Looking back, I'm quite pleased with the results, although at the time I didn't think much of them, longing to run before I could walk.


a liking for squares
© Teresa Newham

If I took several photos of something, chances were I'd put them together in some kind of collection.  Who knew the centres of tulips could be so fascinating? or close-ups of seaweed? or different versions of the same shot, played about with?


multiple madness
© Teresa Newham

The linocuts in the archive drawer may be deceptive: often the archived version is a poor representative, the only one in the edition not good enough to sell. How I wish I'd kept some of the better ones back . . .


some not so perfect bird prints
© Teresa Newham

There are some treasures, though; happy memories and examples of photos and prints which were extremely popular in their time.  The ones shown here are all at least six years old, and it's good to see them get an airing again!


more of my most popular photos
© Teresa Newham





1 comment: