Pages

Saturday 29 August 2015

Morning has broken

Morning has broken
reduction linocut by Teresa Newham 


In May of last year I snapped this cheeky chappie perching brazenly on the head of a statue in my garden. I thought he would make some kind of linocut, although I didn't get to start the project until earlier this year:


the inspiration
© Teresa Newham

As often happens, I had the title already in my head - Morning has broken - a hymn I used to sing at primary school, later recorded by Cat Stevens.  His version ran constantly through my head while I worked out how to go about things!


working out the design
© Teresa Newham

It took a couple of months to get the design how I wanted it;  then a few more weeks while I decided how many colours to use, and which ones.  Eventually I was ready to go:


getting to grips with the cut
© Teresa Newham

The first cut printed up beautifully - then, of course, I had to cut the same plate again, which meant no going back - always a tricky moment!


printing the first colour
© Teresa Newham

As I cut further into the plate, the image slowly started to take shape as the colours built up on top of one another.


drying off the second colour
© Teresa Newham

Reduction linocut is a technique popularised (and possibly even invented) by Picasso, and it's exciting to do, because you never know how it's going to turn out . . .


printing the green
© Teresa Newham

. . . so I was pleased to see that by the time I'd printed the black, the original character of the blackbird was still evident!


beakless - but still jaunty!
© Teresa Newham


Morning has broken like the first morning
Blackbird has spoken like the first bird
Praise to the singing, praise to the morning
Praise to them springing fresh from the Word
     - Eleanor Farjeon



2 comments:

  1. I love this. I particularly like the way his head inclines in that quizzical way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what attracted me to him in the first place! I think he was listening to something - me, possibly!!

    ReplyDelete