Pages

Monday 29 April 2019

Into the Light




Into the Light
watercolour by Teresa Newham

Much to my surprise, I found time during Lent to do another watercolour painting in which I used salt to create some special effects.  Only one attempt went in the bin this time - when will I learn not to wet the paper too thoroughly? - and I was able to get going with some interesting washes fairly quickly.


laying down various washes
© Teresa Newham

We'd recently made a trip to Kew Gardens - my first, as it happens - where the Cherry Tree walk must have made a huge impression on me, because it started, quite literally, to seep into the subject of this painting. Especially when I found myself holding the whole thing vertically to get that watercolour running . . .


the salt adding magic of its own
© Teresa Newham

When I decided that the painting was finished, I realised that it's a perfect description of how I've been feeling over the last few months.  And I'm pleased to say that there is light at the end of the tunnel!


the finished painting, still taped to the board
© Teresa Newham



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful painting, alternately joyous and haunting depending on one's mood.

    ReplyDelete