Pages

Friday 23 December 2016

Hope in a troubled world


Holy Family III
linocut Christmas card by Teresa Newham


When I planned my 2016 Christmas card I already knew that I wanted to depict the Holy Family again.  Burning a candle for inspiration, I found myself doodling a heart shape on the paper - and everything flowed from that.  Imaginatively entitled "Holy Family III", the image shows the Virgin Mary and St Joseph cradling the baby Jesus while the star (which always foreshadows the cross in my designs) shines above.

As a Catholic, I celebrate the birth of Jesus as a sign of hope, a light in the darkness; as the Gospel of John says: The true light that enlightens every man was coming into the world (1:9).  And although in the chaos of our everyday lives we may forget that light, or choose not to see it, it is still there - the light of love, joy and peace - burning brightly for believers and non-believers alike.

So let's be kind to one another - not just to family and friends, but strangers on the bus, in the shops, on the street.  Let us reach out to help other people, both at home and abroad.  Not just at Christmas, but always.  And let us remember to hope.

Merry Christmas!






1 comment: