Pages

Wednesday 30 May 2018

violets


violets
linocut by Teresa Newham

For this mini linocut (it measures no more than 7 cm x 15 cm) I didn't need to go far for inspiration.  It was the beginning of April when I first spotted these pretty little flowers in a sheltered corner of the back garden.


violets in the garden
© Teresa Newham

I was working on other projects, so it wasn't until a few weeks later that I started making some sketches of possible designs of both violets and celandines, which were flowering at the same time.  I had intended to make a full size piece, but in the end I chose another subject for that, which is still in progress.


working out wildflower ideas
© Teresa Newham


At the moment I've abandoned my bench hook when cutting, preferring to use rug liner - the sort that prevents rugs sliding about on laminated floors or carpet.  I find I can turn the lino much more easily, which helps when creating curves; but as ever, I have to be extremely careful that the direction of the cut is away from my hand.



the cut
© Teresa Newham

The violets are gone from the garden now, as are the celandines, and other wild flowers are gracing our gardens and hedgerows at the moment.  I wish I had time to make a linocut of them all, but there's an unfinished project to be getting on with . . . !


the finished print
© Teresa Newham









1 comment:

  1. I think this is a lovely little picture - the flowers are very delicately drawn and the colour is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete