Pages

Wednesday 8 June 2022

A Sunflower for Ukraine

 

A Sunflower for Ukraine
jigsaw linocut by Teresa Newham

Back in March I took part in an art exhibition to raise money for the DEC Ukraine Humanitarian appeal. I'd just printed my first ever jigsaw print - an Easter card - and it occurred to me that I could make another one to raise money for that appeal too.


planning the print - and the cards
© Teresa Newham

I drafted out my ideas almost immediately but as usual it took a while to bring them to fruition.  I wanted to use some of the pieces to make a greetings card, too, so that had to be worked out, and the cutting was more complicated than my first jigsaw.


fitting the pieces together
© Teresa Newham

The biggest challenge for me was the printing.  I needed five colours all at once, which meant space was at a premium, and I had grand ideas about a rainbow roll on the sunflower petals, which introduced a sixth colour.  This is visible on some, but not all, of the finished prints and cards.


printing a lot of colours at once
© Teresa Newham

The cards proved to be even more tricky, probably because I printed the design straight onto the card stock. I'll try a different paper if I need more cards and stick it on to the blanks!  They still look pretty impressive when laid out together.


the design adapted for the greetings cards
© Teresa Newham

The prints are now mounted for sale, and one is framed for display.  They'll be available at Art on the Common (details below), and I'll donate the commission which the organisers take for Cancer Research, so that neither charity misses out. Let's hope they raise some dosh!


the print mounted and framed in time for Art on the Common
© Teresa Newham


Art on the Common will take place Saturday 18th June 10am - 5pm and Sunday 19th June 11am - 5pm on Harpenden Common in front of the Park Hall AL5 2LX . 15% of all sales will go to Cancer Research.






1 comment: